LaptopLock protects the data and aids in the recovery process of a computer if it's stolen. The LaptopLock can:
- Delete files (secure data wiping now available)
- Encrypt files
- Show a message to the user
- Execute a program
- Play a sound
- Visible or hidden from user
How do I setup The LaptopLock?
Sign up for a free account to register the computer(s). Install the LaptopLock agent for Windows 2000/XP/Vista. Complete the setup wizard.
How does The LaptopLock work?
If the computer is stolen, login into your account, mark the computer status as stolen. As soon as that machine connects to the Internet, the actions you set during setup will execute. The LaptopLock will also try to find out as much as possible about the connection to help in recovery of the machine. THE LAPTOPLOCK DOES NOT MONITOR OR RECORD USER ACTIONS. THE LAPTOPLOCK DOES NOT ALLOW ANYONE ACCESS TO YOUR COMPUTER OR DATA. THE LAPTOPLOCK CAN ONLY EXECUTE ACTIONS THE USER HAS PRE-PROGRAMMED IT WITH.
What if there is no internet connection?
If after a while LaptopLock has been unable to connect to the Internet, it could ask the user to verify their identity by asking for a password. This option is set during installation and depends on how visible LaptopLock's presence should be.
What's in the news about stolen laptops?
- Stolen credit card data used to load up on groceries - WZVN-TV
- Two laptops containing patient data stolen from American Family Care - SC Magazine
- Jimmy John's says customers' credit card data stolen - Montgomery Advertiser
- Home Depot estimates data on 56 million cards stolen by cybercriminals - Ars Technica
- Hackers slash prices on cards stolen in Home Depot data breach in Wisconsin - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (blog)
How much does this cost?
It's free for now. It comes with no adware or spyware.
Is there an agent for Linux, MacOS, etc?
No, but if you'd like to build one for your favorite OS please let us know.
What's the latest software version?
The LaptopLock agent is now at version .94, last updated 2/05/2007.
What's new in .94?
- Windows Vista Compatability
- Secure data wiping
- A number of bug fixes
Can I see a demo?
You can check out some screenshots of the software here.
Can LaptopLock be used on a desktop computer?