LaptopLock protects the data and aids in the recovery process of a computer if it's stolen. The LaptopLock can:
- Delete files (secure data wiping now available)
- Encrypt files
- Show a message to the user
- Execute a program
- Play a sound
- Visible or hidden from user
How do I setup The LaptopLock?
Sign up for a free account to register the computer(s). Install the LaptopLock agent for Windows 2000/XP/Vista. Complete the setup wizard.
How does The LaptopLock work?
If the computer is stolen, login into your account, mark the computer status as stolen. As soon as that machine connects to the Internet, the actions you set during setup will execute. The LaptopLock will also try to find out as much as possible about the connection to help in recovery of the machine. THE LAPTOPLOCK DOES NOT MONITOR OR RECORD USER ACTIONS. THE LAPTOPLOCK DOES NOT ALLOW ANYONE ACCESS TO YOUR COMPUTER OR DATA. THE LAPTOPLOCK CAN ONLY EXECUTE ACTIONS THE USER HAS PRE-PROGRAMMED IT WITH.
What if there is no internet connection?
If after a while LaptopLock has been unable to connect to the Internet, it could ask the user to verify their identity by asking for a password. This option is set during installation and depends on how visible LaptopLock's presence should be.
What's in the news about stolen laptops?
- Rural Bank 'used stolen data to lure farmers as clients' - The Australian
- Selling Stolen Data For Bitcoin Via New Dark Web Marketplace - Bitcoinist.net
- Welcome to Hell: The dark web hacking forum trading in stolen data is under new leadership - International Business Times UK
- DOJ: Use of leaked poll data illegal - Philippine Star
- Qatar National Bank Suffers Massive Data Breach, No Money Stolen - SPAMfighter News (press release)
How much does this cost?
It's free for now. It comes with no adware or spyware.
Is there an agent for Linux, MacOS, etc?
No, but if you'd like to build one for your favorite OS please let us know.
What's the latest software version?
The LaptopLock agent is now at version .94, last updated 2/05/2007.
What's new in .94?
- Windows Vista Compatability
- Secure data wiping
- A number of bug fixes
Can I see a demo?
You can check out some screenshots of the software here.
Can LaptopLock be used on a desktop computer?